Thursday, October 4, 2007

Mexican Salsa and Beans

A few weeks back two of the Partners Club girls (one was from Mexico City and the other had spent significant time in Mexico) taught a class on Mexican cooking. WAY fun. Here are a couple of my favorite recipes:

Mild Salsa

Quick, easy, and CHEAP! I don't know why, but the idea of making my own salsa had always been intimidating to me. So I would buy fresh salsa at the grocery store for $4.99 for a small container. Not anymore! This is WAY easy...

2 (14.5 oz) cans stewed tomatoes
1/2 onion, diced
1 t minced garlic
1 lime, juiced
1 t salt
1/4 C canned diced green chiles
3 T chopped fresh cilantro

Put all ingredients into your blender and blend on low until you reach your desired consistency. You can add more of your favorite ingredients if you want. I added extra garlic, onion, and cilantro to mine. Makes for great salsa but killer bad breath. Brushing teeth after consuming is encouraged.


This recipe makes about the equivalent of 2.5 normal sized jars of salsa.


Charro Beans


I don't even like beans all that well, but I really like these. The picture doesn't do justice.

1 can Colorado beans (made by Goya, found in the Mexican section of the store)
1 T oil
1/2 to 1 chopped onion
1 chopped fresh tomato
1 serrano chile, finely chopped (You'll want to slit down the sides and take out the middle part with seeds, then chop fine, then wash your hands well. This type of chile is hotter than a jalapeno)
1 stem of cilantro, chopped
chicharron (pork rinds, optional)


Cook the onion in oil until it gets a little transparent, then add the tomato, chile, and chicharron. Cook for a few minutes and then add the beans. Cook for a few more minutes. I like to make my beans up a bit but that is optional. Then remove it from heat and add the cilantro. Can be served with chips.


This recipe makes enough for 2... I'd double it if I were feeding a family.

1 comment:

Short Stop said...

YUM!!! Mexican is our favorite around here! Thanks for sharing these recipes. They looks SO good!