Sunday, January 6, 2008

Thoughts for 2008

He has shown all you people what is good.
And what does the LORD require of you?

To act justly
and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Micah 6:8

When I think of resolutions and goals for myself, this verse often comes to mind. I don't know that I'd call the principles listed above goals or resolutions, but more overarching truths to align my life with. Not that I'll ever "get there" (whatever that means) but I want to make it my life's work to pursue each of these things. I love both the simplicity and depth found in this verse, and am thankful that while I can get my mind around these truths with relative ease, there will always be more to learn and grow in with each.

With that in mind, I've been thinking some in the last couple of weeks about New Year's resolutions. While I agree that they're almost meant to be broken when called such, now is such a great time for new goals. Something about January says "fresh start" for me. Maybe its because I still think in terms of semesters, like I'm still in school. Now that Josh's life is again set according to a school calendar, this is even more the case.

But here are my goals for 2008:

1. Pray

Consistency in prayer has been an issue throughout my walk with God. While I understand in my head that it is important and worthwhile and good, I fail to do it on a regular basis. Like, beyond a blessing before a meal or a quick "help me." My heart isn't always into it, and this frustrates me. And then I just don't do it. Spending more time on my knees (or even talking to God while soaking in a bubble bath) is definitely on my list of goals.

2. Serve

In some capacity or another, I want to serve people in the name of Christ this year. The poor, the sick, the needy. I have a bad habit of being paralyzed by not knowing how to serve or what to get involved in. A soup kitchen? A crisis pregnancy center? Helping international families get acclamated to the States? I don't know which and I don't know how to jump in. And then I just don't. But it is my heart's desire to get out of my comfortable shell and serve others.

3. Run

Back in October, I got really excited about running. And I did it relatively consistently through Thanksgiving, which is big for unathletic me. And then I got sick and stopped doing it. BUT I'm still signed up for a mini-marathon in May and need to get in shape to run it. I don't AT ALL feel like getting off the couch and out there on the sidewalks, but I know it will be good for me on several levels. So here we go.

So there we have it. Don't know how all this will pan out, but those goals are on my heart and mind right now for 2008. I think these specific goals fit relatively well with my "life verse" (hey, I can run humbly with God too, right? :)). I hope so.

3 comments:

Short Stop said...

I love Micah 6:8! Great verse for the new year!

I'm really trying to work on consistency in my prayer life, too. It's always SO hard...but I know that God can change my impatient heart as I sit before Him.

Awesome about the run...good for you! :)

Jenni S. said...

We can agonize over the running together! :) What a great post - if you give your goals to Him, He will definitely help you meet them!

Erika said...

Thanks for the convictions, Jess :) Amazing isn't it, we know praying is important and yet sooooooo hard to do! Why does that surprise me, satan is trying his hardest to get us not to pray. I will be praying for you, as I commit to praying more myself...