Sunday, January 13, 2008

Update...

Since this crazed entry, I've had some good time to pray and seek the counsel of friends, and think I've figured out a few things about the upcoming semester...


So here is a glimpse into my life for the next few months...


1. Still planning on that mini-marathon! Yesterday I actually ran 1.75 miles, more than I ever have before, and it just about killed both me and Riley. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but there was a certain feeling of accomplishment there that felt good. Tomorrow is a 2 mile run... yikes.



2. Co-leading the Partners Club. Although it sounds crazy that this would be important or a big job, I really think both are true. Lots of planning, meeting with the school, answering questions of prospective partners, and social activities. Last night was a really successful event, in my opinion, the kind that reminds me that this work is worthwhile. It was just a casual get-together, but the other leaders and I made a point to call partners we don't know to personally invite them. Three "newbies" came and, as far as I can tell really enjoyed themselves. One of the girls I talked to admitted she was really lonely sitting at home in the evenings and was looking forward to making new friends with this group. With so many of us in the same boat (new town, don't know people, partner busy with school) there is no reason for people to be lonely or bored. That's why we're here.


3. Trip to South America is planned for March! Yay!


4. Although we're working out exactly when to start, we are moving forward with some other couples with a church small group on Sunday evenings. At least two other couples are interested, and we're looking forward to that.





5. Very excited about this as well. Although I know I'll have to miss some sessions here and there, I'm starting this Beth Moore Bible study at church on Wednesday. I'll have almost daily homework, but think the discipline and accountability will be good for me.
-
What I'm cutting out, however, is KATS. Back in November, I had agreed to do it again in the spring semester, and I hadn't wanted to back out. But I explained my situation to the organizer, who is also a good friend of mine, and she said it wouldn't be a huge problem on her end for me to change my mind. So I won't be making the extra cash this semester, but there are more important things than that!
-
Now I'm off to do some house cleaning in preparation for my parents to visit. They'll be here until Tuesday - yay :)








4 comments:

Short Stop said...

This sounds like a great plan. I have never done a Beth Moore study...I really want to.

Have a great time with your parents! :)

the buurstra's said...

Sounds good Jess...you do-it-aller you! :)

Where is the race at? Would it be the Riverbank run by any chance??

Jenni S. said...

Looks like you made some great decisions - especially putting spiritual growth ahead of extra money for this semester. I'm doing a Beth Moore study too (Living Beyond Yourself - spiritual gifts). The homework really isn't that bad if you commit to it daily. I actually do it in place of my quiet time when I am in the study b/c you're in the word already and she has some really good ideas about directing your prayer life. Hope you are blessed by it!

Jenni S. said...

I was going to respond to your question about the running, but I don't have your e-mail address...and didn't think you wanted the update in your comments! :)