Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Monster Cookies

These are our favorite cookies and since I made a batch recently I thought I'd share the recipe. They are hearty, flavorful, and who doesn't like a mix of M&Ms, chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips? I'm a huge oatmeal fan already so the combination of so many favorites is certainly a hit for me. The trick is to bake them until they're just faintly brown but mostly look undercooked. That way they stay a little gooey on the inside. We enjoy eating these (and most other cookies) frozen.




A family friend gave us a copy of her family cookbook for our wedding, and we've enjoyed great meals, desserts, and appetizers from it ever since. This is one of her recipes, with a couple of modifications.

  • 2 1/4 C brown sugar
  • 2 1/4 C white sugar
  • 2 sticks margarine
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 Tbl corn syrup
  • 2 1/4 C peanut butter
  • 9 C oatmeal (4 C quick, 5 C rolled)
  • 4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 bag chocolate chips
  • 1 bag butterscotch chips
  • 1 C M&Ms

Cream sugars and margarine. Add eggs and beat, then add peanut butter and corn syrup. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Drop by large tablespoons onto a cookie sheet. I sometimes leave out the M&Ms from the mix and press a couple into the top of each cookie before I bake them. Bake at 350 degrees from 8-10 minutes.


As this makes a "monster" batch I often half it and still end up with 5 dozen or so cookies :).



1 comment:

Jenni S. said...

Yummy! I will definitely have to try making these with the girls - although, I'll have to substitute the M&Ms for another candy (Anna's allergies). Any suggestions???