Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My New Bathing Suit


This past weekend I finally did it.

I bought a bathing suit at full price at Macy's. A grown-up one.
It should have been done long before, but my frugal nature prevented me from spending that kind of cash on such a small amount of fabric. But last year's number (which I purchased for about $15 at Meijer) now feels too skimpy. Suits from years past are now too big or stretched out or missing their other piece. It was time to take the plunge. And what better place to go than one of the biggest department stores around? They actually had selection. Something you don't find in Bloomington.


One big issue I've had with suits over time is that the cheap modest ones never quite have the... well... infrastructure that I could really use. But the triangles-on-a-string kind? Well, it can always be tied as tight as necessary. (Is anyone tracking with me here?) For someone that never spent more than $35 dollars on a suit, I had some problems.


So I sucked it up and bought a new, quality bathing suit. With infrastructure. One that I won't feel self-conscious in. Okay, maybe that isn't true. But not as self-conscious. And by "grown-up" I don't mean the type of suit your grandma might don. I simply mean one that wasn't bought from the juniors department at Meijer, Target, or Kohls.


And the best part? I bought an adorable board skirt to go with it. Mine is orange, but I couldn't find a picture of that online. You get the basic gist, though.


Too bad I don't quite look like the Nautica model in the picture above. It is still a cute suit.

3 comments:

Aletha | Pearls Events said...

Ooh, I remember my first big swimsuit purchase. It was the summer after college, and I headed to Macy's to drop $95 on one amazing red suit. I wore that thing out to the point where the elastic was coming through the tush--I would say I got my $95 worth!

This year I just bought a "sangria" colored tankini from The Gap--it's solid, as I rarely choose a pattern for myself. It was around $60 I think, but totally worth it because it was just what I was looking for!

Short Stop said...

Oh, I SO need to do this. My itty-bitty-bikini-from-Target are OVER.

I love your new suit! And, the board skirt is GREAT!

Jenni S. said...

*Sigh* The days of a two-piece are far over for me. Although, I am extremely happy with my one-piece Land's End purchase. It's probably my most modest suit ever, but that's what I'll need for chasing 3 little ones around the beach!