Saturday, January 17, 2009

Scratching the Surface

You know how you always have a list of things you'd like to learn how to do? Skills you'd like to pick up someday?

Mine includes things like:

-Piano playing
-Knitting/sewing/quilting
-Upholstering
-Gravy making
-Photography
-Bloggy HTML
-Turkey carving
-Digital scrapbooking

You know, for when I have time.

But learning Photoshop has been on my list for a long, long time. I know many of you are old photoshopping pro's, so just bear with me and my beginner excitement.

I started reading The Pioneer Woman a few weeks ago, and ever since have been inspired to learn how to use the program. She consistently blogs about Photoshop, and her website includes step-by-step instructions for how to make things happen. Woo hoo! Just what I need. AND her website has free actions for downloading. I just learned what those are! And have totally enjoyed using them.

I'm currently working on a belated wedding gift for my cousin, Erin - her album. I'm doing it in a classic (and hopefully classy) scrapbook style but wanted to play around with some of her pictures before I had them printed out. Not that they need too much - Erin and Pablo were a beautiful couple and they had an incredible spot!

So, for your viewing pleasure:

Straight out of camera (SOOC):

And all done up:


I know, I know, it isn't anything earth-shattering. But a) I'm new at this and b) I don't want her wedding pictures to look too touched up anyway. I'm going for a natural look. And I'm totally pumped.

For the record, I used PW's "soft and faded" and "quick edge burn" actions, and then touched it up a bit to get rid of the shadow. It was totally easier than I thought it would be.

And now the issue becomes which to choose...

SOOC:

So do you go with a great B&W?

Or a vintage style?

Or more of a classic wedding take, bridal glow and all? (And, somehow, grass that got too close to neon green. So maybe not.)

Or perhaps something closer to the SOOC? The options are limitless, it seems.
After much deliberation, I think I'll go with this one:
What do you think? Vote, please!

Clearly, I've discovered that this is a ton of fun to mess around with! When will I ever bring myself to do laundry again?

It might not happen for awhile.

And fellow IU-er's? Go and download the Adobe suite for free (yes, free) while you still can. DO. IT. NOW.

4 comments:

Tanya Searle said...

I agree with the picture you chose. I like the grass toned down a little.

Thanks for the tips. I've been wanting to learn how to use that program as well.

Chrispy Critter said...

Too bad we paid full price before we got here! :(

the buurstra's said...

Gravy making? You crack me up. :)

I like the effects you learned w/ photoshop. The vintage one is cool, as is the b+w. Tough choice! Guess it depends on the other images you're choosing and the effects of those.

Good luck + have fun!

Jenni S. said...

Thanks for the tip about the photoshop blog, first of all. You really got the hang of it quickly! I think you did an excellent job on the pics. As for the second pic, I kind of liked the vintage style one too.